Over at the music blog The Torture Garden (a website which appears to have little to do with Octave Mirbeau’s Sadeian 1899 novel), Daniel Hernandez has posted an obsessive listing of 88 Reasons to Watch Donnie Darko Again, catalogued by theme.
01. [numbers] The movie takes place in 1988. Frank tells Donnie the world will end in 28 days, 06 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. If you add these numbers, the sum is 88.
08. [numbers] Donnie Darko was released on October 26, 2001. The Director’s Cut of the film was released on July 23, 2004, exactly 1001 days later.
30. [symbolism] Donnie has a Led Zeppelin “Swan Song” poster on his ceiling, which depicts an angel. Cherita Chen’s swan dance at the talent show is entitled “Autumn Angel.”
63. [terrorism] The original posters for the movie had an Arabic-style font, which was removed after terrorists from the Middle East attacked the USA. The title cards within the movie, which also use this font, were however not changed.
84. [religion] In The Bible, Wisdom 8:8 reads: “If a man desires much knowledge, she knows the past, and foretells the future; she knows the subtleties of speeches, and the solutions of riddles; she foresees signs and wonders, and the outcome of times and ages.”
88. [time travel] The E(8) x E(8) string theory, well-known to many mathematicians, is often referred to in the study of time travel.
There are 82 more at the link above.